Skip to main content

Great day at the Pride Festival

Today was a big day for us....West Coast Area Girl Guides hosted a booth at the Vancouver Pride Festival.

The response we received was overwhelming!    People were so happy we were there and we heard over and over that it was long over due.   Many people were surprised to see us and to hear that we are an inclusive organization.  I was moved by many stories of LGBT people who had taken part in Guides and Scouts as children and who felt it made a huge difference in their life.    I was deeply saddened by one woman that we talked to who long ago had been kicked out of Guides for being lesbian.   One of my favorite moments was when three young women walked by and slowed down and one girl turned to the other and said "wow...Girl Guides love gays!"   I just wanted to give her a huge hug!

I also met a sweet young man who had grown up in guides and credits it as being one of the saving graces in his younger years.    We had a great talk about his involvement and he even bought a bunch of cookies!   He challenged us to know more about the process for young people who are transitioning and curious.

Many people were sad to hear that Scouts were not taking part and hoped that they would follow us to the festival next year!

I am so proud to be part of an organization that values people over sexuality/race/religion!   It was a quite a journey for us to get to pride this year and we came up against lots of opposition even within our own organization.   People are always afraid of what they don't know.   I think they will be happy with what we have to show them!

We handed out all our adult registration forms and a whole bunch of girls forms.   We even have to phone province to let them know that TONS of people will be calling for cookie info!

Here are some pics from the event!




Want to join us??

Girl Guides is always looking for volunteers for units, advisers or helpers!   Come as you are and get in where you fit in!   You don't have to have any past experience, you just need to have a desire to make a difference in the lives of young girls.


Vision


Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada, the organization of choice for girls and women, makes a positive difference in the life of every girl and woman who experiences Guiding so she can contribute responsibly to her communities.

Mission


Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada enables girls to be confident, resourceful and courageous, and to make a difference in the world.

Values


The stated values for Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada are stipulated in the Promise and Law.

Promise


I Promise to do my best,
To be true to myself, my beliefs and Canada
I will take action for a better world
And respect the Guiding Law

Law


The Guiding Law challenges me to:
  • be honest and trustworthy
  • use my resources wisely
  • respect myself and others
  • recognize and use my talents and abilities
  • protect our common environment
  • live with courage and strength
  • share in the sisterhood of Guiding.


Visit us at www.girlguides.ca if you want some more information, or drop me an email!

Comments

Angel said…
I am so proud of you my friend. You are doing such a great service to the girls and everyone out there. Thank you for reaching out to everyone and leading your group to better understanding of one and all.
Anonymous said…
Hello! I read this blog via GGC sharing it! I would really like to have GGC present in a similar fashion at London Ontario Pride this year.. But I have no idea where to start!! Any advice you have would be wonderful! Who paid for it, did you have any attractions…? You can email me at (no spaces) pretty socks (@) hot mail dot com

YIG, Bri
Anonymous said…
I hope to see you guys at the pride festival this year!

Popular posts from this blog

I said yes.....

well hello.....excuse me if the spelling is bad, but im updating from my phone in the hotel! Today we slept in and went down for a lovely breakfast and then got ready to go and headed from our hotl down to the waterfront. we walked to the olympic park and then back up to the pier....then we stopped for a lovely peppermint twist mocha at starbucks! we continued on down the waterfront and decided to go to the aquarium.....we got a pic of nemo and dorie! then we went for a beer and grabbed a bus back to our hotel. We got ready for our dinner and got a cab to take us to Cafe Campagne. we had an amazing three course dinner with lovely wine pairings and a lovely chocolate Digestif. Chris wanted to go for another walk.....so we headed down to the park, once there he looked me ddep in the eyes and told me how much he loved me....then he dropped to one knee and produced the lovely mahogany ring box....he asked me if i would make him the happiest man on earth and be his wife. you know me....

The ongoing saga of the Not-So-Cuterus....

Its another girl blog....so if you don't want to hear about girl parts and stuff now is the time to leave...  Ugh.....after a series of terrible periods (try bleeding for 14 days), doctors visits and ultrasounds...I am back fighting it out with the Not-So-Cuterus....which after I saw this cartoon by  Stasia Burrington... I may just have to start calling her the Fuck-Uterus.   If you want to catch up on the saga of the not-so-cuterus, you can read these posts: https://taradaisy.blogspot.com/2019/06/be-kind-to-yourself-tmi-warning.html and https://taradaisy.blogspot.com/2019/08/silence-invisible-woman.html I decided to call the doctor about 2 months ago after bleeding for 9 days, I had what I like to call the shining... Every hour I bled through a super plus tampon and  pair of heavy flow Knix underwear (that's 8 tampons worth folks) and a pair of pants for approximately 26 hours.   Here is where the TMI gets gross people.... for each of those hours I pa...

WOAH NELLY.......

WTF (thats a freak...not the other one...im trying not to swear!!) This month...this summer...this year is flying by! Im not sure how to slow it down! I thought i should do a little update and let me adoring fans (all three of you) know how things are going this month. I started school this month again, that was a big step for me and i am madly in love with my professor....no no not like that!!!! he is doing exactly what i want to do when i "grow up" and i am so fascinated by everything he has to say. I think i am going to really like this course (I am taking Adolescent Development FYI). Brownies starts up on Sept 23rd, but i have been busily attending meetings, training, putting together posters, planning unit meetings and trying to get my calendar straight. I even went to Area camp at the end of august for a few days. I will definetly be staying the whole week next year. I had a riot and it really got me pumped up for brownies. I am the new liason for the chu...