Skip to main content

REVIEW – T-Fal Triple Basket Deep Fryer (FR50AD50)

I was so pleased to be picked for a Groupe SEB VoxBox through Influenster

Groupe SEB is a large French consortium that produces small appliances and they are the world's largest manufacturer of cookware, some names you may recognize are Lagostina, All-Clad, Krups, Moulinex and T-Fal.

I waited in anticipation to see which product I would receive to review and was pleasantly surprised to receive the T-Fal Triple Basket Deep Fryer.   While I did receive this product free of charge to review, my honest review of the product is below.

The packaging was simple and contained 11 pieces: The outer holder, the removable oil basin, a removable heating coil, a magnetic plug, 1 large fry basket, 2 small fry baskets, 3 basket handles and the safety cover with window.   I think it took me longer to set up my wing station than it did to unpack and set up the fryer!

The removable heating coil allows you to put nearly every other piece of the machine in the dishwasher which is great!   Now that we are assembled, I asked the family what they would like to make first and it was a resounding call for wings.   

I read through the included booklet which included a few recipes and noted that you need to pat the wings dry and they should take about 10 minutes at 375.   I filled up the oil receptacle (it takes just over 4 Litres to get to the max line - I had a 4 litre jug of oil so it was perfect) and we were ready to go. 

I turned on the machine and was able to easily set the temperature and cooking time by pressing and rotating the black knob on the screen (please note that there are several presets but not one for wings). I placed the safety cover on and got to setting up my wing station. 


Once the oil had reached the designated temperature it sang its little song and the red light turned green.

I had to make two types of wings as the SO does not like hot wings and wanted a salt and pepper wing.   I also wanted to see if a light coating made the wings better or not.   So for the hot wings, it was just a simple Franks Red Hot and butter for tossing the wings and for the other batch I did a flour, cornstarch spice mix to coat the wings and  some spices, salt and pepper to toss them in after.

The coated wings crisped up quite nice and added some good flavor to the wing and the SO loved them


The uncoated wings were perfection, I personally liked them better and they were so delicious I could have eaten about 200 of them!


The process was incredibly easy, you remove the cover, place 7 to 10 wings (depending on the size) in the basket and gently place in the oil reservoir, tilting the basket slightly away from you as you lower it.   Once the basket is fully submerged you place the cover over and hit the start button.   



The machine will sing its little song when your wings are done!  I really loved the large window in the safety cover which allowed me to check on the progress of the wings.

We decided to try a little sweet treat before we turned the fryer off and wrapped some bite size mars bars in spring roll pastry and gave those a little fry, I did not have a recipe for those, so I used the window to judge the crispiness of the wrapper as a judge for when to take them out.    The baskets hang nicely on the edge of the oil reservoir to allow the basket to drip any excess oil.   The Mars bars were a fun treat but probably not something I would do on the regular.


Once we were done, I unplugged the machine and allowed it to cool, this actually took a VERY long time and if I had dedicated counter space I probably would have just left the oil in the fryer with the lid on until the next time we wanted to make some wings.    Once the oil was cooled we removed the heating element and gave it a quick wipe down with soap and water being careful not to get the electrical housing near the water. Next it was time to filter the oil and remove.

We used a very fine strainer with a cheesecloth inside a funnel, so this was a two person job for sure.   We poured the oil into the strainer which slowly strained and returned the oil back to the bottle for next time.   I was pleasantly surprised that almost the entire four litre of oil still remained and that we didn’t end up eating as much oil as I thought we would for deep frying.

The Verdict:

All in all I really liked the T-Fal Triple Basket Deep Fryer (FR50AD50) and if you are in the market for one I would highly recommend this model for its simplicity and ease of use.   It takes about 10 minutes or so for the oil to come to the highest temperature and it appears to have maintained that temperature steadily through the process.  In fact, I blew a circuit during the cooking and it appears to have maintained the high temperature even through us finding and flipping the circuit!

I liked that there were presets for French Fries, Onion Rings, Doughnuts and Chicken Pieces which you can cycle through with the preset button.   This will automatically set the temperature and cook time for you.    If you want it to be more or less crispy you can modify the time with the setting knob.   I didn’t love the chicken setting as it shows a full chicken, but presets to 4 minutes which is more likely for cooking chicken chunks/nuggets that are already cooked and just need to be crisped.  But lets be honest if they put a picture of a nugget on the machine no one would know what it was for J

The machine does give off a lot of moisture while it is cooking which can create humidity and that cooking oil smell in your home (this is true of all deep frying) and I mitigated that by placing the fryer on the counter beside my stove and turning on the range fan.   This eliminated those issues.  

If I was being picky I would say I wish that the oil receptacle had a small divot in one of the corners to create a spout to help facilitate the cleaning of the machine and the draining of the oil but really it worked fine without it as long as you were careful.

As an aside if you are worried about the clean up and  you prefer to have an auto oil filtration and storage fryer, T-Fal also makes the T-Fal Ultimate EZ Clean Fryer (FR800050) which is only 1 litre smaller than the one I used and automatically strains your oil and saves it in a sealed container below until your next use.

I have linked the T-Fal Canada site above and these can also be picked up on Amazon, Walmart or your local cookware store.  If you end up purchasing one, make sure you comment below and let me know what you made!  If you already have one let us know your favourite fryer recipe that we just have to try!

This weekend we have the kidlets and we will be making Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts, and definitely will need to make some fries and wings to add to our Halloween Char-boo-terie board!

photo courtesy of Brignole Vineyards


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

Review - Usana Reset

Its been a while since i wrote here, but I thought this would be the best place to host my review. What is the Usana Reset?  according to their website: Reset is a 5 day Jumpstart that is a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie system to help you kick carbohydrate cravings and lose the first few pounds and find the motivation to keep working toward your total weigh-loss goal.   Reset helps people jumpstart healthy eating habits and begin to make a clean break from unhealthy, high-glycemic foods. Reset is meant to be followed up by a 2 month program that tapers off of their food product and into a Low GI diet.    This review is specifically about the 5 day reset.  Here is how the week shapes up: You can buy the products online but they recommend you buy the actual reset package that includes a DVD and other extra's. I have a close contact who sells Usana and they just bought me the items I needed to complete the days. Lets take a look at the different things my w