Skip to main content

Silence Invisible Woman......

TRIGGER WARNING - Surgery and Period Talk



I am really struggling with what to write here today so this post may be a little raw and less fun as some of my others LOL   If you don't want to hear about girls health issues, now is the time to leave!

Bitmoji Image

I had an experience that really mad me sad and then totally pissed me off!  

Have you ever felt invisible?

Have you ever met someone who is REALLY REALLY nice and doesn’t want you to worry so they blow a little smoke up your ass and on a good day you believe it and on a less good day you ignore it and let it annoy you a little and then there are days when like it REALLY PISSES YOU OFF….and you just want to scream FUCK YOU….Hear me don’t just listen to me!

I don’t want to hear positivity and Pollyanna just because you don’t want to say the negative stuff or because you don’t want me to worry.  Tell me the truth and if you have some words of wisdom, support or positivity that can help, then that’s cool.

I actually heard a great podcast this week about the damaging effects of toxic positivity this week and it appears the universe is just making sure I understand it sigh!

What is Toxic Positivity? It is the idea that we are only allowed to show positive emotions.  “Good Vibes only” so we are made to feel wrong, “bad”, less than if we experience negative emotions or have a negative thought.….don’t get me wrong, I will say it again…. everyone needs a bit of Pollyanna in their life but, there is this culture rising that says slap a smile on it, don’t let them see you sweat, Just get over it, Just be happy, if you stay positive you will overcome any obstacle, you can do anything you put your mind to. 


What’s the big deal Tara….The big deal is this…Toxic positivity doesn’t allow you to feel your full spectrum of emotions, it doesn’t allow you to process the situation with all the facts, to be authentic, tell the truth and most importantly feel like it is okay to ASK FOR HELP!

Toxic positivity tells me life is only as good as I make it…..so when life is not good, that is of my own making?   Maybe it is, maybe I robbed a store and now I am in jail and life sucks….but what about when I did nothing and I am in excruciating pain and life is really sucking?  What did I do so bad that I now deserve that?

Oh Tara you don’t deserve that…..true true….but I am also not allowed to harsh your vibe by saying it hurts….cuz good vibes only!!!   And I am less than if I admit that I am not perfect, sunshine and rainbows!

Okay I derailed here….Rant over….So what happened?

I went to my doctor (WHO IS AMAZING BTW, however he is also an older man) for my follow up after the surgery and again he told me a more Pollyanna version than what the young woman resident told me while I was in the hospital….So I called him on it…and he did a bit of back pedalling and then I called him on something else he said and he backpedalled again and then he threw some good vibes shit at me and I got upset and told him that I am not stupid or uneducated and that I understand what the words on the piece of paper mean and he sort of blew me off and gave me a hug and when I said “I don’t want to be comforted I want to be heard” he assured me he heard me and that in a year if I was still experiencing a loss of quality of life we would look at it then.
A year is a LONG fucking time people!  I had him give me a copy of the surgery investigation notes and I set my 1 year follow up appointment and I went and got some lunch.

So here is the truth based on what is written on my investigation report and what the resident told me. I went in for surgery with a diagnosis of Menorrhagia (super heavy, painful bleeding) and bilateral ovarian cysts and came out of surgery with a postoperative diagnosis of Menorrhagia, bilateral endometriomas and Stage 4 Severe Endometriosis (also called frozen pelvis).  

So if you are imagining it here is a happy healthy uterus….

And then mine....

….my uterus has tilted forward almost laying on top of my bladder it is at a very weird angle and my fallopian tubes reached around behind it to give it a hug and then my ovaries, filled with so much love for my sad little uterus, they swelled up and decided to kiss and their lips got stuck together……then my endometriosis showed up to see what was going on and thought – wow look at all this stuff, its so wiggly…there is too much room….lets glue it all together!


So like a little cement truck guy it dumped out in all its tissuey friends and it even pulled the bowel up to my ovaries and back of my uterus, completely enrobing one of my fallopian tubes and secured all that to the side of my uterus and pelvic wall!  It’s a damn mess!!

During the surgery they were unable to fully locate one of the fallopian tubes as it was firmly adhered to the wall,  so they clipped what they saw, removed the other tube,  they removed approximately 70% of the endometriomas and they were able to separate the bowel from the other organs YAY!

So what did they doctor tell me?

They got everything out and then I reminded him that it was only around 70% of the cysts and he was like oh yeah, but it will be fine.   Then when I wanted to address treatment of the endometriosis he said I don’t have endometriosis just some old endometrial tissue that they got rid of.   But he had literally just told me that I had endometriosis….as he had on the phone after surgery and as did the resident who told me she was surprised I was walking when I came to the hospital as it was one of the most severe cases she had seen and that I had what was called Stage 4 endometriosis, that they doctor would talk to me about therapies that would help reduce inflammation in the future.   He ignored me when I brought that up but I can clearly see on the report that the post operative diagnosis is Stage 4 Endometriosis AARRGHHH…
.
Sorry I am really frustrated…..I have advocated for years that I didn’t think something was right. That I had a hard time with going to the bathroom during my period especially, that I had extreme cramps during some of my periods, that my periods were really really heavy, that I had tried EVERYTHING to get pregnant, that I often felt “sick” just before, during and after my period.  That I had leg pain, massive headaches, lower back pain that felt like lightning shots to my kidneys, chronic back and neck pain.   That I have dieted hard and worked out tons and can’t seem to drop the weight.  That I was so fatigued sometimes I could barely move my legs
Bitmoji Image
They checked my thyroid about 500 times, they waved it off as not related to my period, they told me to take drugs, they told me not to take drugs, they gave me iron, told me to lose weight, told me to wait and see what happens next time.   If they had listened to me they may have been able to deal with it before it got so bad.    I don’t want to get all crazy on you….but Stage 4 endometriosis can move into different places in your body...Got a cough maybe its in your lungs….got a headache maybe it is in your brain…Kidney hurts???....alright enough riding the crazy train.
Bitmoji Image
Seriously though, I know that I am overweight and I have struggled with that for a long time.   Have I always been perfect about eating well and moving more….no….its very hard to stay on track when you never see progress or the scale goes in the other direction.    Just because I am overweight though doesn’t mean I am unhealthy or that it is the cause of EVERYTHING that is wrong with me or the world!   My weight is a convenient rug to shove everything under so that no one else has to do the hard work.   I AM NOT FAT…..I have fat on my body.

Most of all today I am sad…Did you know my mom has though for YEARS and YEARS that I have endometriosis?   I have been silenced for so long, not only by doctors but even by friends (oh periods are supposed to be painful, its not that bad….This is normal, get over it), but if it had been diagnosed earlier things may have been different ….would I have been a mother?  I have long since accepted that being a mom is not in the cards for me….but I still have that twinge of sadness!

I am ranting again…what I want to say is this…


NO ONE will advocate for you…..
NO ONE knows your body like you…..
Be Firm and Be Positive….
If they won’t listen….MOVE ON!!!!
SAY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN until someone takes you seriously!


Comments

Cathie said…
Thanks for being brave and sharing your literal pain Tara. Good words of advice to advocate for ourselves, when we KNOW something is wrong!
Joy said…
I so hear you. I have had chronic pain now for yrs. Nobody can find what it is. I also have a crazy tilted uterus! I sure hope you get the help you need. It sounds like you are not sure if the surgery worked or not....
Big hugs

Joy :)
We should not not have to fight to have to be heard and provided good health care. Chronic pain is such an uphill struggle to get help with and if you are a woman that hill gets steeper and slippery. Sounds like it time for a new Doctor.
Preferably one a bit younger. I know finding a GP in Vancouver is hard.

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

Review - Usana Reset

Its been a while since i wrote here, but I thought this would be the best place to host my review. What is the Usana Reset?  according to their website: Reset is a 5 day Jumpstart that is a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie system to help you kick carbohydrate cravings and lose the first few pounds and find the motivation to keep working toward your total weigh-loss goal.   Reset helps people jumpstart healthy eating habits and begin to make a clean break from unhealthy, high-glycemic foods. Reset is meant to be followed up by a 2 month program that tapers off of their food product and into a Low GI diet.    This review is specifically about the 5 day reset.  Here is how the week shapes up: You can buy the products online but they recommend you buy the actual reset package that includes a DVD and other extra's. I have a close contact who sells Usana and they just bought me the items I needed to complete the days. Lets take a look at the different things my w