Skip to main content

Sleep Saga Day 38- includes some reviews!!

 If you follow me on FB you will know that I am currently struggling with a long bout of insomnia.


This is not unusual for me, I have always had small challenges with sleep, but generally, they only last for a few days or so and then go away.   Often brought on by heat, congestion or some other environmental agent.

For the most part, I fall asleep quickly, stay asleep most of the night, but if I do get up I usually fall right back asleep and then I wake just before my alarm.  I mean honestly, I can fall asleep pretty much anywhere meetings, sitting up, Skytrain, riding in the car (even while driving right Jenn? - Thank god for rumple strips!)....hmmmm Maybe I have more problems with sleep than I think LOL

Anyhoooo.....

I am always on the hunt for the thing that will help me sleep best, and right now nothing is doing the trick!!!  I have tried no screens before bed, no water before bed, melatonin, valerian root, cold medication, meditation, white noise, ocean noise and even sleeping in another room that was cooler and didn't have a gorgeous snoring man in my bed.   Yes, Yes I am fully aware i snore...a lot....even loudly some times!   But we are all perfectly aware that i am like the princess and the pea when it comes to sleep.....it has to be just right!

I mentioned on FB that I had purchased a sleeping mask/headband meant to block out noise with flat earphones and several of you wanted to know how that went.
I purchased this Sleep headband  for $30 after reading a few good reviews:  


This is not top of the line but I didn't want to invest hundreds of dollars if it wasn't going to do the job.   I have used it now for 5 nights and I am pleased with it for what it is.

The headphones are not completely flat but flat enough that it's not an issue when I am sleeping on my side.   They are not noise canceling but I was pleased to note that I can put in earplugs, turn up the volume and Tom still didn't hear what I was hearing.   Because of this though, you have to position the band so that the speakers do sit right over your ear.   It took a bit of getting used to but I am glad I made the purchase and will use it on a regular basis.

I found an app called "Relax Melodies" which can be downloaded on Iphone or Android.   First things first....no sleep app is actually free.  You can go on Headspace or Calm and if you are okay to listen to the exact same 3 meditations or stories every night then you can use their app for "free" with ads or else they are $12 a month or more.   

The reason I chose Relax Melodies was 
  • #1 - the price is LOW- it was less than $50 for a year or $5 per month.   
  • #2 -  it is totally customizable  - I can create my own noise mix, I can lay it over music or stories, I can have it play for the amount of time I want, set it to turn off my app when I don't want more noise or let it play indefinitely....the options are almost overwhelming!
  • #3 - there is a TON of content so i won't be bored
For those who get the scalp ticklies from ASMR, they also have a section for that kind of relaxation as well!  I am able to gift a 30-day trial to those who want to check it out...so if you do, just use this Personalized link to download the app.

I fiddled with the options and created a sound mix that included ocean waves, waves hitting rocks, rain on the roof, and distant thunder.   The calming sound makes me feel just like I am at camp sleeping near the window in Ranger on a rainy night.  I can't handle the same story every night so I pick a story, lay my camp mix over it and leave it on for 1 hour after the story and tell the app to shut off when it's done.

I have found that I will wake up shortly after the sound stops but it's fine because then I just remove the headband and fall right back asleep.   However, the 30 to 40-minute story allows me to ease into sleep and give my eyes and brain some time without screens which is really important in establishing a sleep schedule.  I also enjoy that the headband feels and works best when I pull it down over my eyes, which creates a nice darkness that we don't get with all the ambient lights on the humidifier, or clock, or phone, or ....or....or.

if you want to give this a try I highly recommend starting with a low-end version as it will not be everyone's cup of tea!  I think they will also be AMAZING on the plane!

If you want to go all out I heard AMAZING reviews about the SleepPhones brand which run about $140 and if you can't fathom wearing earplugs and a headband and MUST HAVE noise canceling the ultimate is the BOSE Sleep buds II and every single list, article or review I read praised them but they come in at a hefty $350.

Okay so we create the ideal sleep environment.....

NOW....how the hell to get to sleep!


I feel like I tried everything... I have taken hardcore prescription sleep meds before and I don't do well with them.   I become a zombie girl for many many hours after waking.    I have tried cold medication and allergy medication but it has the opposite effect on me if I am not sick and end up buzzing and totally unable to sleep.  I really do prefer to put the least amount of chemicals in my body, as I think I get enough!  I have also tried sleepytime tea, melatonin, and valerian root as well! 

I talked to my doctor and he said that the last resort may be to double up my anti-depressants or look at something like Ambien and we should see how the next few days go.....because I remembered....I had some natural medicinal gummies left from before surgery.   

And Last Night......

I went to bed at 10:30, woke up around midnight to take off my headband and go pee, and then I slept all the way until 6:20 am
I have to say, I did have some seriously bizarre dreams but I will take it!   A couple more nights of good sleep and I will be back into a normal routine!  I may even stop feeling like a zombie potato!!

Fingers crossed my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

Review - Usana Reset

Its been a while since i wrote here, but I thought this would be the best place to host my review. What is the Usana Reset?  according to their website: Reset is a 5 day Jumpstart that is a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie system to help you kick carbohydrate cravings and lose the first few pounds and find the motivation to keep working toward your total weigh-loss goal.   Reset helps people jumpstart healthy eating habits and begin to make a clean break from unhealthy, high-glycemic foods. Reset is meant to be followed up by a 2 month program that tapers off of their food product and into a Low GI diet.    This review is specifically about the 5 day reset.  Here is how the week shapes up: You can buy the products online but they recommend you buy the actual reset package that includes a DVD and other extra's. I have a close contact who sells Usana and they just bought me the items I needed to complete the days. Lets take a look at the different things my w