Skip to main content

Review - The Greek Gastown

When you think Greek, you think of warm family meals, LOTS of garlic, olive oil, flavours of dill and lemon etc.   You often think tender grilled meat and the first dish that likely comes to mind right now is lamb souvlaki.   This iconic dish wasn’t even on the menu at our recent lunch at The Greek in Gastown.

The Greek Gastown is the newest location for this family run trio of restaurants which started with the much loved Anatoli Souvlaki on the north shore.   It’s a cute little restaurant just up from the Gassy Jack statue and we had made a reservation for 12:15 for a party of 10 to celebrate a birthday lunch.   We called to advise we were running a few minutes late, part of the party arrived at 12:15 and the rest were there by 12:22.   I happened to be in the slower group and when we arrived they were still setting up our table on the balcony, then they changed their mind and set up a table for 9 on the bottom floor.   We managed to squeeze in 10 and after asking 3 times we were brought an extra water and a place setting.

We were greeted by our server and asked if we were on lunch break to which we replied yes and then promptly placed our order.    Besides Greek salad and hummus the only other vegetarian option for our party was spanakopita, however they “didn’t have any of that…sorry!”.   We managed to place our orders and then sat back talking and waiting….and waiting.     I am honestly not sure why they bothered to ask us if we were on lunch break because other people came in, ordered and left before we even received our food.   Over 1 hour later everyone finally had food in front of them.

I have to be honest, I wouldn’t necessarily call what we ate Greek food.   It was definitely Greek inspired though!  For example, their dinner menu is tapas (a Spanish idea), small pricey share plates not the large family style you would imagine of a typical Greek dinner so their lunch menu is more expensive than their dinner menu.  

I had souvlaki, I do want to give kudos to The Greek for letting us choose 2 different proteins for our skewers.   I ordered chicken and prawn!   The meal was decently portioned for the price (not “Greek sized” like you would expect but didn’t leave me hungry) and included 2 skewers, two small fingers of potato, about 2/3 a cup of rice, a small Greek salad and a little cup of tsaztziki with a pita cut into 4 pieces.  I personally was not thrilled over the chicken as it was cheap cuts of chicken and mostly thigh or other brown meat (I know some people prefer that but this is my review!) and the pieces were quite small, the total skewer  had 5 small bites of meat on it.    The prawns unfortunately were overdone and chewy.    You couldn’t really taste the marinade on the meat and so once again I say, Greek Inspired but not Greek! 

The Greek salad was basically just a pile of spiralized thin cucumber with capers, feta, olive oil topped with 3 pieces of tomato and 2 very thin slices of green pepper.    It was tasty but again I wouldn’t have classified it as Greek. The star of the meal was the Greek potato which was perfect, fluffy with a bit of crisp on the outside, lemony and delicious.  I never eat my potato but I ate every bite of it!

I found the tsaztziki to be quite tasty, if not a bit thin.   I asked for an additional side of hummus and it was delicious, but not as expected at all!  Very thin and grainy and incredibly lemony almost to the point of overpowering, but I really enjoyed it.

One of the people in our party has some food restrictions and doesn’t eat carbs and asked for the souvlaki with just extra salad, dressing and toppings on the side to which the server replied, “why don’t you have a Greek salad and add a skewer” which sounded like a great idea at the time until you realized the salad was not going to be what you thought and that tiny extra skewer…..was SEVEN DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!   The salad with one tiny skewer ended up costing considerably more than if we had just asked for them to leave off the carbs and they would have gotten 2 skewers of meat. 

I do want to point out that when this was brought to the server’s attention, they did offer to refund the difference.

I think the issue with the food here is just that it is inconsistent from dish to dish.   The Greek salad with no dressing was fully dressed and had additional dressing on the side.   Some people had large blocks of feta while some had sprinkles.  Some plates had larger skewers, while some of us had small ones.    3 of the people had the salmon skewer (which was apparently delicious) but one was overcooked and one was underdone.

While I wouldn’t tell people to avoid this restaurant at all costs, I would tell them to manage their expectations.  

·         The staff were pleasant but inattentive, this could have been due to it being lunch hour and there only being 3 staff in the front of the restaurant.  When we did have their attention, they were charming and polite.

·         The wait for a table and then for our food was unexplainably long and not warranted from what we could see.

·         Though the food was inconsistent it was tasty even if it wasn’t what you expected of a Greek restaurant.

·         The lunch menu was decently priced for downtown standards and you didn’t leave wanting more.

We may have caught The Greek Gastown on a bad day, but based on our meal today, it’s not likely that I will go back based on the wait times and inconsistency in the food.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

Review - Usana Reset

Its been a while since i wrote here, but I thought this would be the best place to host my review. What is the Usana Reset?  according to their website: Reset is a 5 day Jumpstart that is a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie system to help you kick carbohydrate cravings and lose the first few pounds and find the motivation to keep working toward your total weigh-loss goal.   Reset helps people jumpstart healthy eating habits and begin to make a clean break from unhealthy, high-glycemic foods. Reset is meant to be followed up by a 2 month program that tapers off of their food product and into a Low GI diet.    This review is specifically about the 5 day reset.  Here is how the week shapes up: You can buy the products online but they recommend you buy the actual reset package that includes a DVD and other extra's. I have a close contact who sells Usana and they just bought me the items I needed to complete the days. Lets take a look at the different things my w