Skip to main content

Being Unemployed

As many of you may know I lost my job in September.    I was very optimistic that I would have no issues finding a job, I mean I live in  BC!  Christy Clark told me I am at the head of the BC Job Creation Machine. I joke but its partly true, here I am, I live in a province touting job creation and prosperity and I am VERY good at what I do!  

I was let go without cause and told my position was no longer needed.   The very next day my employer, the BC government (the one who told me they were creating jobs) announced a hiring freeze!   No worries right? as I already said, I am really good at what I do!  I mean look at this summary of my skills:

• Excellent Working knowledge of many standard computer programs 
• Working knowledge of JUSTIN, ROTA, and Maximizer
• Lifetime learner – taken several career advancement courses
• Bachelors Degree – Major in Psychology and Extended Minor in Criminology 
• Excellent customer service, interpersonal, research and organizational skills
• Valid BC Drivers License and clean drivers abstract
• 4 years supervisory experience
• 7 years interviewing and external customer service experience (not including reception)
• 13 years experience teaching, leading groups, peer tutoring and peer counselling 
• 18 years administrative experience
• 22 years volunteer experience

So what is the problem....why am I still unemployed? Well I don't think the hiring freeze helped, as well did you know that our unemployment rate is actually up to 7% now?

The first two months, while I was still on severance, I focused primarily on trying to find a job in mental health, health care, education etc.   Something that would help me use my new degree and help build new skills.   I quickly found that I was woefully under qualified for most of the jobs I found.   So I started to focus  my search on administrative or supervisory roles in institutions that I would eventually like to end up in.    

I have to tell you the competition has been stiff!   I have put out over 135 applications since September!  I have had a handful of testing rounds, several interviews and a couple of second interviews.  However, nothing has come of it so far.   I always ask for feedback if I have a good interview and here are a few things I have heard:

"You were amazing and it was down to you and another girl, it was so close that in the end it came down to" words per minute (typing) and you scored 62 and she scored 65"

"I know we weren't looking for a CA, but the candidate who won had a CA and we work with a lot of CA's so we thought it would be a great fit"

"We really believed this job was below you and that you would get bored and quit in 3 months, we will keep your resume on file in the event a more senior position comes up"

"We had a very difficult choice, we only had 1 position.  We received 144 applications, we narrowed it down to 14 for testing, 5 for interviews (I made it this far) and the candidate we selected had more supervisory experience that you did"

And it goes on....So, for some I am too qualified and for some I am not qualified enough!  The market is tough I have heard over and over about postings where the sheer number of applications that come in are overwhelming.  I applied for an executive assistant position for which I was very qualified and they phoned me because they were doing pr- interviews to try and narrow down the 200 applications they had received for the job!  I was passed on to the HR manager but as of now I haven't heard anymore.   I do know that this posting is still open though.

I am still optimistic that I will find something soon and I continue to send out as many applications as I can each week.   I have also connected with several temp agencies to try and get either a few days here or there or a "temp to hire" position.

If you have made it all the way to the end of this post and you are the praying kind, I would love the extra prayers and support!   I know the right position will come when it is supposed to but it is hard to be patien and trust some times!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

2 week - Post Hysterectomy Surgery Update and day 300

Hey Y'all! A lot has happened in the last two weeks and so I thought I would stop by and update everyone.  As many of you know I was diagnosed a few years ago with Stage 4 Endometriosis and in the last year or so the complications have gotten worse.   I really had to sit in my feelings for a bit but after talking with my family and some close friends I made the decision to request a total hysterectomy.  Not surprisingly, I had to fight a bit, even though it is my body! I appreciate that the medical system and specifically women's health wants to work tirelessly to protect my fertility but the reality is that this opportunity was blown many years before when they refused to acknowledge the issue when I was a teen and young adult.  Trying to preserve this when I am in my late 40's is laughable.  Trying to preserve this after lost pregnancies and lost marriages....please just let me enjoy my life on my terms now!    Anywhooo..... While I was getting ready for my trip to DC and