Skip to main content

Why I am still proud to be a Vancouverite!

Unless you live under a rock, you know that last night was not the best moment in Vancouver History!  But just in case you live under a rock.... CTV Coverage of Riot

I had a pretty bad feeling all day yesterday, I was here downtown in '94 and I was really scared that it would go bad win or lose.    In fact on my way home on the bus I just prayed and prayed for me to be wrong!   As the game was nearing the end, I began to get heavy hearted and started thinking back over what happened 17 years ago.   

I have never been a hockey fan to be honest, but I am a fan of fun!  I absolutley LOVE going to live games even though I am not a sports girl, because the atmosphere is amazing and how can you not love just soaking up other peoples joy and excitement!    The details are more hazy now as I get older, but I remember we left part way through the game to head downtown because thats where all the fun would be.   We walked up and down Robson and Georgia and Granville, the atmosphere was electric, people were handing out invitations to house parties and then somewhere along the line it all started to get a bit darker...the news spread quickly that we had lost, and people for the most part were just going to shake it off and have a good time, but there was this undercurrent!

People started yelling, things were thrown, some fights broke out etc etc....after our first big mouthful of pepperspray we were headed out of downtown, and we watched the rest of the carnage ensue on tv.

But last night....my heart broke for my city last night.    Yet as a person and as a budding psychologist, I couldn't tear myself away....I was glued to the TV, facebook, twitter and online news.   I had to force myself to go to bed because I had to get up early in the morning.

So why is this post called "Why I am still proud to be a Vancouverite"?   I will tell you why.   I watched videos of people risking their safety to try and protect the city and its landmarks.    I saw THOUSANDS of people join in with the city this morning and help clean up downtown!   I saw the majority of people who were interviewed saying this wasn't vancouver, and this wasn't hockey fans.     This was Hooligans!

And this right here is why I am still proud to be a Vancouverite - Globe and Mail - My Neighborhood

It is sad that a small group of people with such vicious intention can rile a group of people up and get them to do what they may not normally do.    Did they think it was okay because no one was watching??   Guess what guys, we were watching and Vancouver....well we don't like it!    We have you on video tape, photos, even your own lame bragging online about what you set on fire and stole!    Do you think that no one will turn you in?

Vancouverites....stand up, we have pride in our city!   Our Football team crushed Calgary last night, Our hockey team won the presidents trophy (or is it cup...sorry I am just not a sports girl LOL) and had an AMAZING run!, we held a very successful and mostly peacful olympic celebration and we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world!    We are a world class city and although we took a world class beating last night, we wil jump up to our feet and say....HELL NO!

So what next, well first we clean up the streets, and we start to win back the respect of the world and we shut down the rioters!   Social media is not just for fun and games people, its also for information.    Help out our local law enforcement who worked their butts off last night.

So how do you post someone elses bragging??

You can easily copy and post items from facebook and twitter where people are bragging about what they have done.

  • go to the page and press CNTRL + Print Screen
  • Open paint and press CNTRL + V
  • use the select tool (the one that looks like a dotted box) to select the post you need
  • Open an new window (CNTRL + N)
  • and paste (CNTRL + V)
  • Save as a JPG and then upload to one of the many sites who are asking for people to post and tag rioters!
Were you downtown last night taking photos, post them to the sites and let them be useful.    If you would like to help, here is some great advice from Miss 604  - How you can Help!

Lets stand together and show the world that last night was not Vancouver and what the power of a true proud Vancouverite can be!

GO VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

Review - Usana Reset

Its been a while since i wrote here, but I thought this would be the best place to host my review. What is the Usana Reset?  according to their website: Reset is a 5 day Jumpstart that is a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie system to help you kick carbohydrate cravings and lose the first few pounds and find the motivation to keep working toward your total weigh-loss goal.   Reset helps people jumpstart healthy eating habits and begin to make a clean break from unhealthy, high-glycemic foods. Reset is meant to be followed up by a 2 month program that tapers off of their food product and into a Low GI diet.    This review is specifically about the 5 day reset.  Here is how the week shapes up: You can buy the products online but they recommend you buy the actual reset package that includes a DVD and other extra's. I have a close contact who sells Usana and they just bought me the items I needed to complete the days. Lets take a look at the different things my w