Skip to main content

Camp Olave Update

Hey Guys,

Some people have been asking what you could continue to do to help save Camp Olave. Here is the latest information that i have recieved.

1 November 2009
RE: TAXATION OF CAMP OLAVE

Dear Guiders and Friends of Guiding,

We lost the first round with the passing of the bylaw on Friday. It was not surprising asall 45 applicants requesting tax exemption were included in the same bylaw. If the District ofSechelt Council had defeated the bylaw no one would have received their exemptions for 2010. The bylaw reads that Camp Olave is to be taxed in 2010 on the upper half of the camp property, which based on the last assessment, would have us pay an annual tax of at least $133,000. Clearly we cannot afford that.

The Camp Olave Management Committee’s next step is to obtain a new tax assessmentof our property. The assessment team has recently been to camp. The official assessment will be mailed in January. Please note we can appeal the tax assessment, but not the bylaw exemption. We will not know the final amount of taxes owing until we receive the invoice. The COMC will investigate means to reduce or eliminate the tax bill. Since this tax creates a hardship for our organization, COMC can apply to the District of Sechelt for a grant.

We want the camp to be returned to the Sunshine Coast Regional District where wewould be tax exempt due to our charity status. We were in that District until the boundaries were changed twelve years ago. Mayor Inkster has changed his tune due to the huge public outcry and has offered to help us anyway he can. As I sat at the Council meeting on October 21st and listened to the Council Members, I thought they have no idea who they are taking on. They completely underestimated the power of the Girl Guide name. We are much more than a cookie.

Once again I am asking you to write letters but this time please send them to your own particular MLA, find yours here as well as:

The Honourable Gordon Campbell
Premier of British Columbia
PO Box 9048 STN Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
premier@gov.bc.ca

Minister of Finance
The Honourable Colin Hansen
PO Box 9041 STN Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
colin.hansen.mla@leg.bc.ca

Minister of Community and Rural Development
The Honourable Bill Bennett
PO Box 9056 STN Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
bill.bennett.mla@leg.bc.ca

In your letter please include a request for a provincial tax exemption of all non profit camps whether they are in a rural or municipal setting. All non profit camps should be governed under the same law. Using Camp Olave as an example we are taxed because we are in a municipality. Move us down the road into a regional district (rural area) and we are tax free.

The present system is not fair. I want to thank every one of you for your support.
Yours in Guiding,

Elaine LakeChairperson,
Camp Olave Management Committee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

Review - Usana Reset

Its been a while since i wrote here, but I thought this would be the best place to host my review. What is the Usana Reset?  according to their website: Reset is a 5 day Jumpstart that is a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie system to help you kick carbohydrate cravings and lose the first few pounds and find the motivation to keep working toward your total weigh-loss goal.   Reset helps people jumpstart healthy eating habits and begin to make a clean break from unhealthy, high-glycemic foods. Reset is meant to be followed up by a 2 month program that tapers off of their food product and into a Low GI diet.    This review is specifically about the 5 day reset.  Here is how the week shapes up: You can buy the products online but they recommend you buy the actual reset package that includes a DVD and other extra's. I have a close contact who sells Usana and they just bought me the items I needed to complete the days. Lets take a look at the different things my w