Skip to main content

Volunteering

As i worked into the wee hours on a camp skills day for my brownies (and im not even on the planning committee!!) and contemplate my upcoming change to the Vancouver Area Program Advisor for GG of C, i started thinking about the other people in my life who currently volunteer and have done excellent volunteer work both here and in other countries.

I am proud to say that I am a part of such and amazing community and have friends who love people, they dont know, enough to want to help in whatever way they can.

I challenge you to get out and volunteer...if not on a long term basis, then on a short term mission or even a vounteer day at a soup kitchen. Not only do you provide help to the other volunteers, but you help provide services for people who can not afford. Your generosity and love makes a bigger difference than you can even imagine!

There are volunteer positions available for every talent imaginable, don't go out and do something for the sake of doing it, pick something you would love to do and then give it your all!

I pray that this year when International Volunteer Day rolls around on December 5th, that we will have doubled our numbers! Make a difference if only for a short time, you will be suprised how much it helps your own heart!

Just in case you are interested in Girl Guides...there is an open house in the West End. Here are the details i have been given:

We will be at Oakridge on Sunday April 19 from noon - 5pm. Fraserview Shannon will be selling cookies and we plan to have our display at an adjacent table.

You can also search "volunteer" on craigslist and you will find tons of opportunities and even some volunteer fairs!

Okay I will jump down off my soapbox now...thanks for listening!

For your reading pleasure here is a great article about IVD from last year.

International Volunteer Day
Message from the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development

Since 1985, December 5 has been designated as International Volunteer Day by the United Nations to thank volunteers around the world, to increase public awareness of their contribution to society, and to inspire others to volunteer.

The Government of Canada values the commitment of millions of Canadian volunteers who give generously of their time. Their selfless work and priceless contributions, in collaboration with not for-profit organizations, support the well-being of individuals, families and communities, and help create a stronger Canada.

According to data released in June 2006 from the Canada Survey on Giving, Volunteering and Participating, 12 million Canadians, or almost half the population of our country, volunteer their time to charitable and not-for-profit organizations. Their contributions totalled almost 2 billion hours, or the equivalent of 1 million full-time jobs in a year.

Since the International Year of Volunteers in 2001, the Government of Canada has been recognizing the valuable contribution of volunteers from communities across Canada through the annual Thérèse Casgrain Volunteer Award.

This past spring, the Government of Canada honoured Ms. Elizabeth Grandbois of Burlington, Ontario, and Dr. Kwang Yang of Surrey, British Columbia, with this award. Ms. Grandbois, who is an inspiration to everyone, especially people living with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's disease"), emphasized that volunteering is a unique opportunity that allows us to give as well as to learn. Dr. Yang, who finds great joy in serving others, feels that volunteering is a social responsibility. Their stories can be read on the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada Web site at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/community_partnerships/therese_casgrain/2008/recipients.shtml.

I applaud all volunteers from across Canada who devote their talents, skills and resources to helping others in their communities. Those who choose to volunteer make a valuable contribution to our society and enable others to live more productive and rewarding lives.

The Hon. Diane Finley, P.C., M.P.Minister of Human Resources and Skills Development

Comments

Laura said…
Thanks for reminding us all that our time and talents should be shared with the rest of the world!
Tara said…
Thanks for sharing your talents with the world momma...you are a good role model!

No one need ask if i even have a mother HAHAHAHHAHA

seriously..if you have read my sisters blog...go see www.crackedhelmet.ca and read her ANGST blog

Popular posts from this blog

Continued adventures in dating.....

Good Morning readers! All three of you! I know you are chomping at the bit to hear all about my wild and crazy adventures in babysitting uh online dating. Well for the most part it seems to be a wash out.   I will talk with some interesting guys and it seems good and then POOOOFF...they are gone.   I suspect its because i don't jump on the hey come F^&* me train fast enough?   Either that or my busy schedule doesn't work for them.   For the most part thought its just dudes looking for nookie! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't all been bad, I have talked to some really nice guys but so far it hasn't turned in to much.   But let me tell you about one experience I had last night. I have seen this guys profile on a couple of different sites - he uses the same three lame pictures which were taken one right after the other and then describes how amazing he is in the context of the stuff he has and what he has accomplished.  He is kind of cute.. i guess...in a b

2017 Spring FabFitFun reveal.

So excited.....last night I got home from my date (more on that later) and there was a package waiting for me....I almost peed my pants.   That could have been from the coffee and large water I drank and then held for two hours and then rode the bus home and then walked to my house basically with my legs crossed....but maybe it was because there was a package.   We may never know.....I digress! I was only sort of certain what was in the box and was super excited to open the box and see.... FABFITFUN!!!!!!!!   what is FabFitFun you ask?   why let me tell you dear readers....it is a VIP lifestyle subscription box that comes out quarterly.   It features a mix of beauty, fashion, fitness, wellness and home products that help you feel good from the inside out!  The box always includes full size products and premium trial items.   Each box is worth a minimum of $100. You can order your FabFitFun box here and if you use my link we both get a deal   FabFitFun VIP Box

2 week - Post Hysterectomy Surgery Update and day 300

Hey Y'all! A lot has happened in the last two weeks and so I thought I would stop by and update everyone.  As many of you know I was diagnosed a few years ago with Stage 4 Endometriosis and in the last year or so the complications have gotten worse.   I really had to sit in my feelings for a bit but after talking with my family and some close friends I made the decision to request a total hysterectomy.  Not surprisingly, I had to fight a bit, even though it is my body! I appreciate that the medical system and specifically women's health wants to work tirelessly to protect my fertility but the reality is that this opportunity was blown many years before when they refused to acknowledge the issue when I was a teen and young adult.  Trying to preserve this when I am in my late 40's is laughable.  Trying to preserve this after lost pregnancies and lost marriages....please just let me enjoy my life on my terms now!    Anywhooo..... While I was getting ready for my trip to DC and